If the Medical Evaluation Board (MEB) determines the Service member does not meet retention standards for his/her military occupational specialty (MOS)/military occupational classification (MOC), then the Service member will be referred to a Physical Evaluation Board (PEB). The Service PEBs are administrative boards which determine whether a Service member’s injury prevents his/her continued performance in the military service.
The Service member will have the opportunity to review and comment on the medical and non-medical information referred to the PEB. The Service member is responsible for providing accurate, comprehensive information about existing medical conditions, especially if they have been treated by non-military or civilian care providers, and also any administrative actions.
The PEB determines:
- Fitness or unfitness to continue military service
- Eligibility for disability compensation
- Disability codes and percentage rating
- Disposition of the Service member’s case
- Whether or not the injury or illness is combat-related