October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This month is set aside to increase awareness about breast cancer as well as make sure the people affected by it know that we support them. A form of cancer that forms in the cell of the breasts, breast cancer can occur in both women and men. If you or someone you know are interested in learning about breast cancer, the National Resource Directory (NRD) shares insightful resources.
- American Cancer Society’s mission is to free the world from cancer.
- Susan G. Komen provides breast cancer information, support, and resources including a breast care helpline, financial assistance for treatment-related expenses, and help with making sense of a breast cancer diagnosis and treatment plan. The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation saves lives by meeting the most critical needs and investing in breakthrough research to prevent and cure breast cancer.
- Going Beyond Pink mission is to offer free access to needed support resources, health and wellness education, individual and family support, and financial assistance to the breast cancer community.
- National Cancer Institute is the federal government's principal agency for cancer research and training. Their mission is to lead conduct and support cancer research across the nation to advance scientific knowledge and help all people live longer healthier lives.
- Breast360.org is a program of The American Society of Breast Surgeons Foundation. Their goal is to engage, educate, and empower our readers so that they will be better able to make informed decisions for their breast health care.
- Office on Women’s Health mission is to provide national leadership and coordination to improve the health of women and girls through policy, education, and innovative programs.
Let us be aware. We can fight breast cancer together. For more information about these resources or to check out a complete list of all breast cancer resources, visit NRD.